Bishop Brendan wrote to us all on the Feast of St Jean Vianney to bring us up to speed with Diocesan Appointments. I had spoken with the bishop a few weeks ago and knew I was “on the move”. In all, sixteen of our priests are involved in this year’s changes, including two who are retiring – John Doherty and Farrell Cawley – I wish them well. In a few weeks I’ll move to Kilmovee Parish and another chapter begins. I had a few lines of that chapter written twenty-two years when I spent nine months in Kilmovee as a shared Curate with Carracastle. When I was leaving the people gave me a clock wishing me well for my “future minstry” – little did they think I’d boomerang on them and arrive back!
It’s nine years since I came to Ballaghaderreen Parish and I have to say it’s been a good time. I enjoyed great moments here, not least in Monasteraden which could not be any closer to my own home – our house at home is within a stone’s throw of the parish boundary. I’ll have many happy memories of my time here, the priests I shared the presbytery and Parish life with, the people I met and friends I have made. There were some sad moments along the way that we were able to share together as a people and parish. Thank God for that too.
Anyway, enough for now! Best wishes to all those who are, like me, getting ready to pack up and move on. Hopefully some of the others are better at packing than I!
The changes in our diocese are:
- Monsignor John Doherty, P.P., Gurteen to be Priest in Residence, Charlestown
- Fr Farrell Cawley, P.P., Kilmovee to be Pastor Emeritus and residing in Ballinacarrow
- Canon Michael Joyce, P.P, Swinford to be Parish Priest in Bohola
- Fr Padraig Costello, P.P, Bohola to be Parish Priest Foxford
- Fr Dan O’Mahony, P.P., Killasser to be Curate in Cloonacool
- Fr Joseph Caulfield, P.P., Carracastle to be Parish Priest Gurteen
- Fr Dermot Meehan, Adm, Ballaghaderreen to be Parish Priest Swinford
- Fr Vincent Sherlock, C.C., Ballaghaderreen to be Parish Priest Kilmovee
- Fr John Durkan, C.C., Kiltimagh to be Parish Priest Killasser
- Fr John Geelan, C.C, Cloonacool to be Parish Priest Bonninconlon
- Fr Joseph Gavigan, C.C., Foxford to be Parish Priest Ballaghaderreen
- Fr Michael Quinn, C.C., Swinford to be Parish Priest Carracastle
- Fr Gabriel Murphy, C.C., Cloonloo to be Curate Kiltimagh
- Fr Gerard Davey, C.C., Ballaghaderreen to be Curate Foxford
- Fr Ronan Murtagh, St Patrick’s College Maynooth to be Diocesan Secretary and Curate in Cloonloo
- Fr Martin Henry, on loan to Killala Diocese, to be Curate in Ballaghaderreen